Employment in software engineering is growing rapidly. As a graduate of the MS SE program, you should be well prepared to apply your knowledge and skills to implement high-quality software, provide innovative solutions, and take leadership roles in industry and government. Possible software engineering jobs may include:
- Computer systems analyst
- Software developer
- User interface designer
- Software testing engineer
- Requirements engineer
- Quality assurance engineer
- Computer systems administrator
- Project manager
- Sales engineer
*If you have an undergraduate degree in computer science, software engineering, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or information sciences, you can enter this program to stay competitive and drive innovation and changes in the global environment. If you have an undergraduate degree in another field but have worked in industry as a software engineer, you can expand your career options in various aspects of software engineering by earning this degree.
**WSU’s MS SE program is offered entirely online through the WSU Global Campus. The online, asynchronous delivery mode makes the program desirable for working professionals looking for part-time, slower-pace participation as well as full-time graduate students seeking a quicker-pace to completion for an MS degree.
Program objectives and student learning outcomes
The objectives of the Online MSSE program are to allow students to acquire the education and professional skills necessary to:
- Identify and solve problems relevant to the software engineering discipline.
- Compete and advance in the software engineering industry.
The MSSE program enables students to attain, by the time of graduation:
- Professional Software Engineering Knowledge: Mastery of software engineering knowledge and skills and of the professional standards necessary to practice as a software engineer.
- Technical Software Engineering Knowledge: Understanding of and ability to apply appropriate theories, models, and techniques that provide a basis for problem identification and analysis, software design, development, implementation, verification, and documentation.
- Leadership and Teamwork: Demonstrating leadership and the ability to be an effective member of a team (including teams that are geographically distributed), effectively communicate both orally and in writing, and to lead or manage projects.
- Depth: Mastery of one or more subdomains in software engineering.